Friday, May 18, 2007

Major Turning Point

I'm sorry I missed providing an update yesterday. My Dad does not have Internet service at home.

Yesterday was a rollercoaster day of emotions for Darla. The surgeon assisting in her surgery today had the warmth of a cold fish - think Christina on Gray's Anatomy! Darla nicknamed her "Dr. Happy." She successfully scared her to death. While it's required to review the risks/benefits involved in all surgeries, there is certainly a preferred method, one that she must have missed in school. The good news is that with the all the pain meds that she is on, it was already a distant memory by late afternoon.

It's 7:50 am now and they took Darla into surgery to reconstruct her pelvis about 20 minutes ago. She was in good spirits this morning and joking with the anesthesiologists to "put her down like an elephant." The surgery is expected to be anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on the challenges that they find. It is a very risky surgery as they have to navigate major arteries and nerves. She will have 3 surgeons and 2 anesthesiologists doing the surgery. The lead surgeon told us this morning that many orthopods will not even attempt the surgery. SO...now is the time for prayers and positive thoughts. This is a major turning point in her recovery.

I will update the blog as possible today. As I write this update, I'm accessing a computer for residents like a little renegade in the hospital.