Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Thumbs Up for Today

Update as of Tuesday Evening:

Darla is doing as well as can be expected. She said she would rate her pain on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) at a 2-3 which means it is fairly well controlled. I asked her how she would rate how she is feeling overall and she said a 2 (10 being the best). Frankly, I'm surprised it's not a -20 with all her injuries.

The doctors have put her on an investigational colony stimulating factor hoping to boost her red blood cells up and subsequently improve her hemoglobin. It is possible that she is still seeping blood from the fractured pelvis. She is very focused on getting through the necessary surgeries so she can focus on healing and starting rehab. She said "One down (her ankle) and I'm ready for the next one." It's already evident that Darla's strong will and tenacity is helping her get through this. She is coping far better than I think I would be coping in her position.

At this point, her pelvis surgery is still scheduled for Friday. This could change if her hemoglobin does not improve by then. Darla suffered a vertical shear fracture to her pelvis which means the pelvis was separated into two parts rather than cracking. The surgeon will be placing one plate in the front of her pelvis and one in the back of her pelvis to bring the two parts back together and stabilize it. They also have to deal with the jagged edges in her pelvis that occurred when it was shattered. The surgery is expected to be a minimum of 5 hours. Completing this surgery successfully is a key milestone for her recovery.

Please continue your prayers and specifically pray that this next surgery goes extremely well.